View Single Post
Old 03-16-2002, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Motu 1296 as good as HD 192

I can't speak to this 1296 vs. 192 thing and I certainly don''t want to start a war here but...

My partner and I have pretty much switched to running DP3 on top of our MixPlus hardware. Why? It's sure not the editing features, it sure ain't the endless interface, it most definitely is not the ridiculous DP mixer...

It's the sound.

The same exact SDII files (run at unity) sound much better to us coming out of DP3 using the same MixPlus hardware and converters. And let me say this, we don't do any summing inside the computer(we've got a nice analog console). Even individual files have more definition and are smoother to our ears. It seems like some sort of witchcraft.

The practical application is that we have mixed several songs in both PT and DP and A/B'd them and the DP mixes almost invariably sound better and take less time. We just don't have to work as hard.

Well, except for the stupid DP mixer and lack of multitrack editing features. That is a pain. We use Radar for tracking and only mix and edit from the computer so latency isn't really an issue for us. We have talked of switching over several times but the simplicity of having everything in two screens on ProTools is so much easier to work with, that it hasn't been worth it...yet.

We're currently testing Nuendo and we've got some hopes because honestly, that Powered Plugins card sounds incredible and the Oxford Plug is coming to the Powercore and OS X is around the corner (the great latency equalizer)...

That's my $.02.

evan
spectre