View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Re: hdx aaxdsp is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
My humble opinion on this is that if you want DSP, HDX is still the only fully Pro Tools integrated system.
It's so easy. And it works great.
I never regretted going from TDM to HDX. Dont want to deal with multiple layers @ la Soundgrid or UAD.

Honnestly, i understand your opinion and agree that Avid should do some things differently.

But at the end of the day, this system is the only one i want to do the work i do with my workflow. There is plenty of AAX DSP plugins available to do the job right. And i use a lot of native plugins while mixing too.
but do you t think my idea of a turnkey interface, say 8 analog in and 8 adat, with say 8 dsp chips instead of 17 or whatever it is, thunderbolt connector, no fan, single rack like apollo.. and just plug and play with PT HD and aax dsp plugins, with dual thunderbolt ports for chaining.. makes sense? For say 2500 USD? Or 2999 with hd software.. a bundle.. as it is, even HD native really is a rip off.

Of course HDX would be my ultimate and that would have been enough for me to stay with PT forever, as i'd have sidechain PDC, and 64 inputs of ultra low latency monitoring with dsp plugins that do not make the cpu jump. Then i could set the HDX buffer at 128 for VI;s and never worry about it again.

The problem is, just one hdx card, and hd software, withOUT a single interface, is 7995 AUD here. It's ludicrous.

If Avid opened up their i/o count like every other daw (for example cubase allows 256 in and out), then i could have stuck with apollos and PT and do the same thing, have a low latency zero cpu monitoring solution and set my buffer at 128 for everything else.. and live happily ever after.

PS i would also need to spend 5 GRAND on an iso box for all the hdx hardware and noisy I/os as there is no machine room here. Apollos are silent.

With apollo my total outlay can be $10995 AUD for 64 ins, if pro tools had allowed it.. i would have 2 quads and 2 duos in that price and 4 adat expanders. 64 ins. There are workarounds due to uad pt mode as i explained elsewhere here, but it's not seamless like cubase and logic is with apollo. I'd have to swap between the sets of 32 ins and then change them in pro tools and record 32 at a time.. also punch in is not pleasant due to lack of correct auto muting.

yes HDX solves *everything* and there are wonderful HDX plugins already available.. but if avid made it more affordable and realistic, people would actually be BUYING it in larger quantities, and plugin devs galore WOULD be supporting it, maybe even waves as they wouldn't have a choice if HDX was cheaper than their own system. But avid really haven't got a clue how to appeal to a mass audience.