View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 09:27 PM

Default How to best mix audio of an indie film?

Hi everyone.

I need some advice on mixing a film's audio. I am composing the soundtrack for a film and I've ended up with more on my plate than originally suspected. I have now also become the sound designer and audio mixer. I'm working in Pro Tools 7, HD2 ACCEL system with DINR, WAVES and other plug ins.

This is an independent film, that was shot on 24P DV.

I've scored a few films so far, but I've never had to do a dialog mix. I doubt this thing will ever get blown up to film, although the director is going eventually to digi-beta so he will have that option down the line. For now, this thing is probably going to DVD, and being shown at film festivals and schools.

I don't plan to do multi-channel with this, just stereo. But is there anything else anyone can offer in terms of advice for a first timer with this? I'm assuming I should keep the dialog pretty mono at all times... and the music in left-right stereo?

ALSO, what level should I be mixing to? I'm assuming not that close to "digital 0"? This isn't a "Pop Record", right? So where should the levels be, -3db? Even less?

Anything I should watch out for, or closely pay attention to? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

ADAM