View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 03:29 PM

Default Re: FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blue Meanie View Post
Great, thank you! I've been out of the loop for a year or so after moving and an old IMac crash, which has led me to the new Imac with this Thunderbolt compatibility issue. I'm def not married to the Glyph, it's just that it has all my song files on it, and I'm desperately trying to access them. If you have any links to previous threads or to recording via the SSD card slot, I would be thrilled to explore it more. Please forgive my terminology, playing catch up on the new technology. Thanks again!
I did not say record to the "SSD card slot".. and you are confusing an internal SSD (solid state drive) with SD (secure digital... silly meaningless name) card slot. I asked if you had a SSD internal drive. What *exact* model/spec drive(s) go you have in the iMac. the System Report utility tells you all that (or look on the order for the Mac).

As Chris said, I would find another computer to use to transfer the content to your new iMac. And I hope that is not your only copy and you have multiple backups elsewhere, including on cloud storage and/or offsite.

If you can run off the internal SSD then your concern should be focused on having multiple backups, including full clones of the internal drive (Carbon Copy Cloner is likely the best tool) and possible separate archives of sessions, and for that you should be looking at external USB hard disk drives (not fast SSD).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-28-2018 at 03:58 PM.