Thread: DAT Replacement
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 11:01 AM

Default DAT Replacement

I work for a post production facility looking to replace timecode DATs in all of our suites. All of our audio/music rooms currently use Pro Tools mix systems to record audio so there isn't really a need for us to record to DAT except to get music and voiceovers into our linear edit bays(Sony D-Beta & Quantel Edit Boxes). Exchange between our audio suites and Avid suites is no problem because we use OMFs or time-stamped soundfiles.
What we are looking for is a robust, non-linear solution that supports timecode, and can be controled by an editor(Sony 9 pin), and preferably have some sort of network access(ftp, filesharing). The only device we have found so far that fits the budget and most of the requirements is the dv-40 by Fostex. Budget is a consideration since we will need multiple machines. Probably around $3,000 per room.
Does anyone have any experience with this and any good suggestions? Also I'm curious if anyone would know if a Pro Tools LE system with the DV toolkit could be a solution? It seems to me like it could be the ultimate solution if Pro Tools LE could be controlled by the editor as a machine and cued up to the timecode of the right VO read or music cut?
Thanks
Jamie