View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Ultimate is the only way to have 32+ IN/OUTs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundasleep View Post
In short - yes. You have to have PT Ultimate, but it ALSO has to "see" a digilink interface, via HDX or HD Native. Dante alone only gets you 32. BTW, You only get 32x32 with Red4 to RED8 pre boxes - even though they have digilink ports for 64.
32x32 with any interface, but 64x64 (or up to 192x192) with enough digilink interfaces connected, using the HDNative or HDX playback engines.
This is incorrect.

Yes, the Red 8 Pre only has 32 channels from Dante, but that is the limitation of the interface it self. You can ALSO use the on-board inputs from the Red 4/8Pre/16Line interfaces to get more than 32 inputs. You can also use a Dante to Digilink interface like the Focusrite HD32R for another 32 channels of Dante in to Protools.

I have the Red 8Pre and have done more than 32 channels with HD Native. You can use two interfaces like the Focusrite Red 4/8Pre/16Line both connected to the primary mini-Digilink port on the HD Native or HDx cards to get up to 64 inputs. If you need more than 64 inputs, then you have to go to HDx and use multiple cards.

There are other interfaces out there that have the mini-Digilink ports that will allow more than 32 i/o with Protools Ultimate and HD Native/HDx. But I'm not as familiar with them. The Apogee Symphony I/O Mk II, Lynx Aurora, and the Waves Digigrid DLI, and the Antelope Orin HD inertness all have two Digilink ports and will get more than 32 inputs into Protools. (The Antelope Galaxy has a whopping FOUR Digilink ports on it for 128 inputs if you have multiple HDx cards.

I think Avid hardware is the only way to get MADI in to Protools though.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One