View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Processing audio to an RMS range and max peak level (Waves)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
If it introduced make up gain it would put your signal back over your desired RMS level. ...
I downloaded Waves Gold Bundle this morning.

I'm trying to get versed on WLM Plus first.

Chapter 2 –Using the WLM
2.1 Quick Start Guide

1. Identify your loudness requirements. [Each file must measure between -23dB and -18dB RMS. Each file must have peak values no higher than -3dB.]
2. Insert WLM or WLM Plus on your program output. √
3. Select the appropriate preset. [For now, WLM Full Reset, then choose LM1. My requirements are not the same as any of the presets. Trim shows: 0.0.]
4. If you would like to create a log file, click the Export CSV button. √ [I chose Off-Line, but got no data. Next time I chose Real-Time, and got data.]

"Select Real-Time CSV File – Choose this option if you need ongoing infinite logging over a real-time audio stream. Remember to create the CSV log file in advance and the logging will take place in real time during measurements. (Recommended for Pro Tools RTAS.)
Select Off-Line CSV File – Choose this option when you want to scan a premixed file and draw a log. This file is written only when the WLM plugin is closed, and logs up to four hours of measurements. So, in case you forget to set a real-time log file, you can save an Off-Line CSV which will contain loudness information of the first 4 hours of measurements carried out by that plugin instance. (Recommended for Pro Tools Audiosuite.)"]

5. Play your program through WLM. √
6. Watch the meters to view the loudness measurements. √

After playing the entire program, check the Long Term meter to ascertain that your program complies with the required target.

[Close the plugin to close and save the CSV file.]

[It does not comply to RMS: LONG TERM: -24.3 LUFS (my target requirement: between -23dB and -18dB RMS). Range 6 LU ("Range Displays (in LU) the overall loudness range across the program signal that passes through the plugin.") (Range is not a spec I'm chasing.) It does comply to my -3.0 max peak required target: True Peak Limit -3.0.]

Trim is shown as 0.3 after playthrough.

--

To normalize the loudness measurement and ensure the program material does not exceed True Peak levels, you may use the WLM Plus component in the following manner after the initial measurement described above:

[I had to choose CSV offline to get data, and that meant I had to close the plugin to save the data of the first passthrough in its own file. When I reopen the plugin, it retains the same setting and data. I think that is just fine.]

The next steps presumably are to be executed starting with the plugin window in the state it was in after the first passthrough.]

1. Click the Trim button. √
2. Click Reset button. √
3. Activate the True Peak Limiter. √
4. If you would like to create a log file, click the Export CSV button. √ [I chose real-time.]
5. Play your program through WLM Plus to re-measure. √

[Close the plugin to close and save the CSV file.]

--

In the second go through my LONG TERM RMS is: -24.0 LUFS (1st pass was -24.3). Range 6 LU ("Range Displays (in LU) the overall loudness range across the program signal that passes through the plugin.") (Range is not a spec I'm chasing.) True Peak Limit -2.7 (exceeds my max target of -3.0 dB by .3 dB).

Trim shows: 0.0 after the second passthrough; the Gain slider got set to 0.3. The changes WLM made were apparently to make the specs of LM1.

The best I can figure (unless and until I can load a setting that is the same as RMS), I need to:

1) Measure each file for peak level.

2) Set the trim as the difference between the peak and my target (negative or positive, depending on if my peak is over or under target.

However, since I not only need to: keep my peaks at (or under) -3.0; be in my RMS range (between -23dB and -18dB RMS); and have my RMS values be close across files, it seems I need to measure all my files (I have about 28) for peak and loudness, and then work on compressor settings to get each file into the RMS range and be more or less matching between files, while maintaining a max peak value.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to enforce a maximum peak level automatically (as you can do in L1), but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since my files are spoken word, any recommendation for a Waves compressor to work with (that is in the Gold Bundle, i.e., C1 vs. Renaissance)?

I have a mono Master Fader. When I insert and engage C1, the level on the right meter (seen in the master fader) is way attenuated compared to the left (about 20 db). My (source) track is mono, and panned center. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

thanks

Last edited by bob2014; 08-21-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Major update