View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You seem to be under the impression that people who work with video in big markets only have to ingest or export video rarely. Hardly the case.
For instance, in December, I was working with 1 major US television network, the largest film studio in the world on a feature film, and 3 different streamers for different multi-part series.
Zero of them send video in MXF. There are a lot of turnovers and a lot of re-conforming. There is a lot of exporting of clips for review to be sent to producers, directors, and editorial rooms that need to be in a file format they can easily playback where ever they are. Sending 40+ clips out a week is not unreasonable today. The "quicktime exports" are also not possible with the current state of Catalina/Pro Tools. I work off a ProRes/DNxHD copy of picture and have an offline h264 version of picture also setup which gets on-lined when I need to make clips to send out so I can save time by using a reduced size picture that can be done "same as source."

Even if I was working on 1 feature, there is a lot of ingest and clips. Modern filmmaking means faster edits and more frequent picture turnover from editorial and directors doing reshoots on location during post. And review by just about everyone in their own locations spread across the world.

So it is a joke to say things are covered with just a change to an MXF wrapper. The current state is not compatible if you work in a major market for content creation unless you want to lose a significant amount of time.

I see Mark's issues and the concept that this is "good enough" support for now is flawed.

(and for those reasons, I won't be making the move "up" until things are solved.)

That isn't his point at all, though. You probably need to use 2019.12 to understand what he is saying. He isn't arguing for MXF only support in Pro Tools. He is simply outlining the fact that the video engine in 2019.12 is unequivocally better. It works. Seemingly every time... without random errors or messages saying it has shat itself. The same really can't be said about the old quicktime based video engine. Last year I had so many video based errors across about half a dozen Pro Tools systems that I got used to carrying around my laptop with a copy of Resolve on it to lay up videos. It was a major PITA. The thought of bouncing out 40 or 50 clips a week on the thing? Its the stuff of nightmares! I don't want the old quicktime video engine back. I want it buried 50 foot underground, encased in lead and concrete. Hopefully with a bunch of the old quicktime stuff removed, the emerging video engine will be much, much better than the old one.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.