View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Avid

Default Re: S6 Workflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
16 Fader M10 here.

MTM : Producer Desk : Fader : Fader

I also have a second computer screen to the left of the MTM for plugin windows, an iPad Mini (running Duet) to the right above the Faders for master meters and loudness measurements, and a screen up on the wall for picture. I keep the producer desk in the middle because I edit as much as I mix, and I like my desktop and the keyboard centered.

For both TV and Film, I usually start with templates (they are sessions, not really templates) with S6 layouts saved in them. If it's a recurring show, I'll have multiple layouts saved, but mostly the blank sessions only have one layout saved which consist of all of my VCAs. The VCA spills let me jump to the needed track. To do this, all 16 faders are set as my 'left' spill zone (even though they are physically on the right) and VCAs spill across all 16 faders. There is no right fader spill assigned.

I have no knob expand zone assigned, because I only have two knob modules. I typically keep my knob modules on sends, ;channel strip stye', but I always press Expand an EQ. Same for dynamics. (That reminds me- it would be nice to have certain functions on the process module assigned to 'always expand' across the knob module, and some not. That would save many button pushes.)

For Soft Keys, I immediacy go to Shift+1 for the preconfigured automation layout I like. There are additional options the top right screen that I access, and I frequently access the 'Extras' menu on the bottom right screen for scrolling options and my own user presets. There are about 6 functions that I plan to add to those automation pages instead of having to access user presets. I can't think of what they are at the moment.

The only thing I rarely ever touch is the jog wheel. It would speed up my workflow a ton if it could raise and lower clip gain on selected clips. That is something the artist series could do with EuCon.

That's all that comes to mind. Is that the kind of info you are looking for Jeff?

Thanks Lucien. Good info. Regarding the Clip Gain... I was discussing this one with Pro Tools product management. This definitely requires extra work, but I agree would be very desirable. The original implementation of Clip Gain Wheel on EUControl was a bit of a hack. It was simply triggering keystrokes and wasn't all that stable which is the reason it is not currently in WSControl. I will make sure the wheel gets more use. I personally would love to see it able to scroll through any field within dialogs that pop up in Pro Tools.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ