View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Dante virtual sound card and PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
Wow. I didn't realize that the uno was so limited.

ok... so, is there something like the Neutrino from a competitor?
Well, there are the usual suspects:

London Soundweb 806, QSC QSYS, Peavey Media Matrix Nion, Yamaha DME24

but they are all quite a bit more expensive than the Neutrino for what I need (16 analog outs, AES, Dante). The only one that is around the same range is the BlueSky AMC but that only as 8 I/O outs and no Dante and has a fixed architecture.

The only down-side of the Neurtino is that it can only do 48k but it has SRCs on all the digital ins. 96k I only need to edit field recordings before I send them to soundminer.

Also: The Neutrinos only do +20dBu max on the analog outs. This can be tricky if you have speakers that want to see +24dBu for maximum headroom (like the Meyers) but in my room I don't need all of that headroom anyway.

I always wondered why most of the US-centric gear can only output +20dBu when your studio nominal reference level is +4dBu. For a cinema stage that means your analog outs go into clipping 4dB before you reach the maximum headroom when you calibrate to specs -20dBFs@0VU=+4dBu.

Only very few converters can do +24dBu so you have to either sent your reference lower (0dBu) to avoid clipping and then add the 4dB with additional line-amps that can output +24dBu without clipping and spend another fortune on those.

Processors like the Meyer Gallileo can do +26dBu so you get what you pay for ;-)

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 03-22-2016 at 02:18 AM.