View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 AM

Default CORE AUDIO Driver please...

Well, we all know that the Core Audio driver for Pro Tools HD Native, Pro Tools HD Legacy and Pro Tools HDX is a major issue and is currently not reliable enough to be used in a professional environment..

To me it is more than a wish to see AVID work on their Core Audio drivers for HD Native and HDX cards.
AVID must understand that regular Core Audio applications are part of many professional workflows even though we all love Pro Tools.

As an example, in our studio we work with:
Pro Tools as the main mixing software
Logic audio (a lot of clients compose on this platform)
Wave Editor
Media composer 6
Final Cut Pro
Many Adobe Application like audition, Premiere and After effect that all rely on a quality Core Audio Driver.
I WOULD LOVE TO USE ONE AND ONLY HD Native CORE AUDIO DRIVER for all !!!! Currently we need third party audio cards like RME or MOTU that have very highly efficient Core Audio drivers for their cards. That means we waste a slot in Mac Pros for a second audio card in each system.

The bottom line is that most audio card manufacturers have worked on very efficient Core Audio Drivers (Multiclient, low latency). What is the problem with AVID?

I would be more than happy if an AVID programmer could explain why it is so much harder to write a proper Multiclient Core Audio driver for AVID audio cards and especially the HD Native that has no proprietary audio processing and mixing inside like TDM and HDX have.
i suspect there are issues with legacy hardware and the nature of TDM, but current HD native PCIe cards should not be very different from other manufacturer's typical soundcards I guess.