View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 AM

Default Re: I have been waiting for Avid to approve a license transfer for a week. ANYONE? AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckthisplace View Post
Did they not become transferable after a certain update?

I feel like its a bit ludicrous to not allow someone to sell something they legally purchased to someone else if they so want to.
While all this is not good behavior on Avid's part, there are probably hundreds of posts on DUC discussing this, you can search for them. Read the documentation around transfer of ownership. The root of all legal discussions about this is the software is never purchased to own like an object, you purchase a restricted license to use. That legal framework is well establisged in most jurisdictions in favor of the licensor. Now what Avid might do as they unbundle HD software and hardware moving forward is not clear but I would be surprised if they opened up and became less restrictive with this.

If you paid somebody you do not know for a Pro Tools HD license and all of a sudden they start telling you they cannot transfer stuff, cannot get you case numbers etc. there is a real possibility you have been scammed.

The way anybody can transfer a HD license is an unactivated license from a bundle, or an activated license on a physical iLok, but then you also really need control of the iLok account and email address, and Avid Account for download access.