View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Bryan Adam\'s Drum Sounds (1990\'s)

Rockrev-

They sound very much like Def Lep's drums to me. The drum tracks defy the "four limbs" rule during at least two of the tom fills, so maybe toms were over-dubbed later. Also notice there are NO ghost notes on the snare. If the snare is hit, it's a rimshot, period. Good way to have control over the gating on the snare reverb. The drum tracks "make sense" in that I can picture a drummer (a damn good one) playing, and the notes that are played, save for those tom rolls, are feasible, if not difficult.

Sounds like the Eventide Harmonizer trick on the snare. Pitch-shift the snare way down (maybe an octave or two, or more), and sneak it back in under the original. Good way to thicken up the sound.

Maybe a short pre-delay on the snare reverb to keep it punchy.

Sounds like a room reverb on the toms.

One nice thing about the overheads is how wide the crashes and chinas are. A good way to achieve this is to have the drummer place those cymbals further to the sides than he normally would. If the drummer's any good, he can hit 'em wherever.

As far as the groove is concerned, I think this has way more to do with the bassist than the drummer on this song. The drummer, as best I can tell, is playing a very "even" shuffle (triplets are strictly triplets, not a hint of the dotted-eighth "push" common in blues and jazz). The bassist creates the momentum with terrific muting of the quarter notes (sounds like: "baaaah-dup, baaaah-dup", and adding runs and fills for flavor.

Have you tracked down the liner notes to see who (if anyone) played drums?