View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Re: MIDI Suddenly gone - at wits end

Well its an ongoing issuel

I don’t know if this is a Driver issue, a Win-10 issue or something with my DAW, which is Pro Tools 12.7. Earlier this summer I upgraded my system to Win-10 from Win-7. I’ve experienced all sorts of technical issues with my system since.
The latest is that my MIDI connection between the Motif XS and Pro Tools doesn’t work 80% of the time. Here’s the details:
My Motif is connected to my PC via Firewire. I’ve used the Motif as my main MIDI keyboard for years this way, with Pro Tools, with virtually no issues. FW always works to play and record MIDI tracks and/or VIs.
When I upgraded to Win-10, I made sure I had the latest FW driver for Win-10, which is 1.6.64 as far as I can tell.
Sometmes I have to reboot my PC 2-3 times before the MIDI is live. I test it by opening the Motif Editor. If I’m able to use the editor with the FW connection, then it usually works when I open a PT session. But not always.
However, sometimes, I can’t even get the editor to recognize the Motif is there, and I have to reboot the PC...OR...worse, uninstall and reinstall the driver!
This is ridiculous. I have no idea even where to begin to resolve this. Can someone shed some light here for me? If there’s a more recent version of the driver, I can’t find it.
Before anyone asks, yes, I’ve checked and rechecked the MIDI settings on the Motif and it is correct. And I’ve done the same in Pro Tools with the MIDI Studio settings there. That is NOT the problem.

I just don't know if its Win-10, the Yamaha-Steinberg Firewire driver, or something in Pro Tools.

Do I need to update something else? The USB MIDI Driver? I just don’t know what to look for. Thank you