View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Windows 7 released today. Experiences with PT8?

Win 7 Home Premium 32, Fast Track Ultra with M-audio beta drivers.

I installed the drivers a week ago, and just now PT. There were some problems with the device during and after installation, got the blue screen once before I even connected the box. That seemed to resolve itself, then I connected the Ultra and got an error -

Quote:
DFU status errFILE state ERROR
After some tinkering, I got it to load without the error - I had a synth hooked up to the MIDI in port. Disconnected that, and the error went away. Still hasn't returned - I reconnected the MIDI cable, and can power off and on the FTU and/or connect and disconnect the USB cable and no more errors.

PT install went fine - started with 8, then ran the updater to 8.0.1. Kept iLok and FTU disconnected until install was over and restart was complete. Plugged them in and launched Pro Tools. The very first launch was VERY slow. Closed, and launched again, this time very fast. Rebooted the machine, and it still launched very fast. The first time it was probably writing the database files and what-not.

One thing that was sort of weird - in the Quick Start dialog I went to open a session by browsing since there were not yet any recent sessions to display. And the first place PT, or Windows took me to to look was in the System 32 folder! Yeah, that's where I store all my sessions!

Anyway, I haven't put it to the full test yet, just ran some instruments and instrument tracks and no problems. Interface very responsive, much better than it ever ran on Vista. No issues with the sound at all. No audible latency.