View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Horrible VI performance when recording in 2019.10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Blame Apple for the OS debacle. Back to the VI's, it might help to actually mention WHICH VI plugins you are using(so others with those can give more detailed replies) Also, have you considered off-loading VI's with Vienna? I haven't used it, but many swear by it.
I have thoroughly tested vienna ensemble pro on my imac pro, a 14 core imac pro, a 10 core trashcan (OWC refurb with the unique 10 core option) and my lowly macbook pro.. In all cases it added latency and drastically reduced the number of VI's I could run on the one machine. It's only useful for multiple computers as DAW multithreading is so advanced these days, that VE Pro is a hindrance to use on the same machine as DAW. The only possible use I can think of is cause of templates and big orchestral sessions, it could be a better workflow option for those doing big orchestral projects (for example) But to help performance? No, it doesn't, not in any way shape or form.

Sure.. Breaktweaker, Sylenth, String Studio, Fab Filter Twin 2, Kontakt 5(Kontakt's own multi threading disabled).
These are the ones I have always used in my DSP testing the last 2 years.. because it allows me to get useful results by comparing the same VI's in various PT and other DAW versions. This is why I didn't mention them (sorry) because I didn't think it mattered cause the same ones on the same computer provided drastically more instances at the same buffer settings in 12.8.4.

If anyone has one in particular they want me to test, I'll be happy to.