View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 04:21 AM

Default Re: dbx160 emulation sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I have the Waves one and for what I've seen it doesn't make as big a difference as it's said it does on drums, it sounds like the hardware I had but I prefer to use it on heavily effected tracks like autotuned rap choirs and far away guitars. I think it's good and if I ever need a different flavour I just use another VCA, especially the BSS and the API, I tend to see the SSL as a more groovy sound but the API can do that when switched to feed back. Good hunting
I have the Waves BSS and tried it before I made my initial post here. Was a bit disappointed in that it didn't seem to have the punch I was looking for. That API - is that the 2500 Waves sells?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen100 View Post
Native Instruments has a dbx160 plugin developed by Softube. I don't know if it sounds like the hardware but you can demo it for free. I think it sells for $99. I bought their Vintage Compressors bundle for $99 on a Christmas sale a couple of years ago. I use them all the time.
Thanks for reminding me about the NI 160 emulation. I have that somewheres in my toolbox and haven't touched it in ages. There's something about NI's effects plugins that leave me a bit dry (and I don't mean the mix control either).
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I had a DBX 160 for many years in my home studio. Since I didn't have a lot of gear, it got used a lot, so I was very familiar with it. When I sold it I wanted to replace it in software. I have the UAD, and I think their version is quite good and a good emulation, but most of the time I use Major Tom. I'm not sure how much further you need to look - it does the job very well. I don't miss the hardware.

Waves has their DBX 160 emulation, but I have not tried it. It gets good reviews.
As said earlier I don't have anything UAD so that's out. As to Major Tom I know whereof Stillwell's plugins as Rocket gets a good workout on drum tracks here. It's one of two 1176-style comps that show up on drums with the other one being PSP's FETpressor.

QAPLA!