View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 09:39 PM

Default Re: USB Mic Volume/Clipping Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Some more basic info might help here.

Starting with how you are monitoring audio during recording or playback. And when you talk about volume are you talking about monitoring while tracking/recording or during playback? Or both?

What exact make/model monitors/speakers/headphones are you listening to and they have exactly what connection plugged into exactly what?

If you are using an aggregate device say so.

Vocals? Singing? Or spoken word/podcasting etc?

If something is clipping (or at least digital clipping) then the signal should be showing as hot input to Pro Tools. What is the exact input level you are getting in dBFS, with the meter in classic mode (not sure what meters options are First) and importantly the track in pre-fader metering mode. If any of those terms don't make sense look them up in the Pro Tools Reference Guide PDF.

USB microphones are frequently a waste of time, you are often much better off getting an interface and analog connected microphones.

Pro Tools First was a mess of a product, killed off for good reason. I would have moved onto Pro Tools Intro, or any other DAW.
I'm currently using earphones. Regular earphones. I have like $100 BOSE Speakers which are fine for their price, but I get a loud high pitched noise whenever I try to record vocals and hear myself through the playback when using them so I record using my earphones which solves the problem for whatever reason.

Basically when I record vocals - the specific problem I'm having happens when I rap, everything is just insanely loud no matter what. Now, yes, I am damn near yelling lol but I have a pop filter and I've moved the mic away from my mouth like 25 inches and I seem to have the exact same problem. For a dynamic mic, I'm surprised at how well it picks up sound actually.

The loudness doesn't seem to come from the output. The output is fine. While I'm rapping and hearing myself rap while recording, everything sounds normal. But then as soon as it's finished recording and I hear the playback, it sounds a lot louder for some reason and clips in the left portion of the track panels or whatever those are called (where you add input signals, presets, adjust gain, pain left/right, add compression etcetc)

Not using an aggregate device. Just my 2015 macbook pro, the AT2005 USB Mic and my earphones. I'm getting digital clipping.

I'll get back to you on what input levels I'm getting on the dBFS. It was pretty high tho last time I recorded to where it caused clipping directly in the dBFS as opposed to the other meter on the far top right part of pro tools that monitors clipping and everything.