View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Waves Update Plan - WUP - What’s the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Thanks for the input. Didn't realize the Impact was so noisy. Honestly I use mostly the Slate stuff but It can get a little too much sameness so I am going to experiment with using different console and other like emulations to add some variety. The bulk of the work I do is game sound design and much of my music work is personal. I have tried to limit what I use in general and limit purchases but the Waves deals can be hard to pass up is which why I've accumulated so many of theirs in the past few years. There was a time I just had the limited Abbey Road set (Pre ADT) and Gold but I've gotten out of hand.

Everybody raves about the UAD stuff but I am not crazy about having to buy hardware just to run their plugs. I really like the Slate stuff but prefer the Waves SSL channels. I love the VTM and VCC and just picked up some of Slate's other stuff along the way.

Each year when I do my taxes I get alarmed at how much I spend every year on plugins (like last week for instance). Even though that number is going down it is still more than I should be spending. UAD had a deal earlier this year that I could/should have jumped on because there were a lot of extras thrown in but I am already deep in Waves, Slate and Plugin Alliance that it's hard to justify adding yet another company's plugins to that. I do not have any McDSP other than Futzbox, have a handful of SoundToys and MH and most of Massey's etc but I am trying to consciously reduce what I use and buy.

Hi, my name is Jim and I have a plugin problem...
Hi Jim.. Theo here, am a plugaholic.

UAD's reissued SSL channel strip and bus compressor is to die for. I mean literally unbelievable.. like you are using an SSL desk...
I can't live without them. Good bye duende, good bye waves.

Was doing a shoot out the other day on a full mix.. used the glue, my previous fave, PSP bus comp, vertigo VSC2, duende, IK SSL, waves SSL bus comp, UAD.

It just obliterated all of them.. The presence and "glue" added, zero peak volume change, was amazing. I honestly always thought it couldn't get better than the glue till i heard that.

Slate's bus comp is not even close in this regard (i'm a huge fan of the slate distressor, in fact it was good enough to save me money buying the UAD one.. i also use VCC religiously, so, we have similar taste)