View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

The full band pink noise coming from my DSM7.1 is correct according to my IVIE IE-33 (not a "lab grade" instument but good enough for audio work)! It matches two other pink noise sources I have here and is in agreement with Dolby's -20 noise, both in terms of level and frequency spectrum. Okay, the truth is there is a slight rise above 10Khz, which is nearly eliminated if you run the box at 96Khz (double clock'd 48k). The rise is about +1 at 20Khz. This was measured on an analog output, I suspect the digital output is okay. The band limited noise is at a wrong level, by a lot, and I have edited my previous post to correct my inaccurate statements. I will investigate whether there is firmware upgrade to correct it.

Digi's pink is a little unusual on both accounts. The level is 2.5db too much, and the amount of power in some of the frequency bands looks a bit off, with 1 to 1.5 db dips around 250hz and 8khz. The dips are very smooth and very broad, and gives the imaginary "straight line" response more of a gentle wave shape. Since most speaker systems and rooms are far worse than that, I don't think it would be a serious problem to set up a room with it, if nothing else was available, as long as you accounted for the level problem. But, it is not perfect.