View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 06:46 AM

Default 2018 session server options >Gigabit?

Hello

I'm setting up a new studio (primarily for music, but you guys seem to be the server experts), and looking into some higher speed network options. My main reason for greater than gigabit is that if possible I would like to use a quad nMP with a 2TB-4TB internal SSD to serve sample libraries (primarily for kontakt), and then something like a drobo connected to it to serve sessions. I'm looking at 1 server and a max of 4 workstations (really 3 with the option to add a 4th or connect a macbook). There won't be 3 or 4 people using Kontakt at once, maybe 2 at most, everything else will be just tracking and mixing. Rooms will be interconnected with Dante.

I was considering TB2 to 10G nics, a 10g switch and then having the sessions on a drobo 5D connected with TB, but then it also occurred to me that I might be able to use TB bridging and simply connect all the workstations (also nMP's) to the server directly with TB optical cables (not too expensive on ebay and have the benefit of lifting grounds).

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried anything along these lines? Is the drobo fast enough for recording?

Thanks