View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM

Default Upgrade Path Options?

I plan to upgrade (read, "eliminate") my ADAT-based system and move into the world of non-linear recording. Having investigated all the top-of-the-line applications out there (you know which ones I mean), I came to the conclusion that ProTools was for me. However, after an exhaustive search of Digidesign's web site, I was unable to find any information regarding upgrade paths. Granted, the information may be there; I just was not able to locate it. So, I ask this forum to please indulge my questions here.

Ultimately, I intend to purchase a ProTools HD system (on Mac). That's a no brainer. The question is does Digidesign offer upgrade purchasing paths from non-HD systems - namely, ProTools M-Powered and ProTools LE? Naturally, the question extends to the packaged plug-ins and to third-party plug-ins. That is to say, I trust there are plug-ins designed to work only with a specific ProTools version and that they are not, or most of them are not, upgradeable to a different version of ProTools. Furthermore, if I recall correctly, the M-Powered and LE versions do not support TDM/TDM II plug-ins, and possibly neither the RTAS plug-ins. I may be wrong and do not intend to place misinformation here. In fact I am posting this to give those in the know an idea of where my confusion lies.

Next, we have another huge factor that will determine my purchase decision. With the new Intel-based Macs, we have an entirely new architecture (a specially designed version of the Intel Itanium processor as I recall reading in one of the trade journals). In any event, historically, software development lags well behind hardware development/change. I realize that ProTools HD 7.2.1 runs on that hardware, and it supports PCIe slots. However, the external hardware options on such a system are unclear. Also, third-party plug-ins will require time to port over their software.

Now, I'm not looking to purchase immediately. I want to inform myself, and hopefully this forum will provide me with some food for thought. Let's say I'm about 6 months out from a purchase. Would anyone kindly care to address my concerns and educate me on my options?

I truly appreciate your feedback... Thanks.