View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Just got my new Mac Pro 2019, 16 Core Review: worth upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockemusic View Post
Just got my new 16 core Mac Pro 2019 this week so I thought Id share my feedback:

With my previous pro tools 2020 sessions on a 6 core MacBook Pro i9 2018, the CPU hovered around 50% max and I would get errors.

With the 16 core, CPU is hovering around 25% to 30% - although an improvement, I would like to know your thoughts on upgrading to the 28 core?

My sessions are virtual instrument heavy with lots of tracks (100 or more).

At the moment I haven't upgraded the 32GB ram or SSD storage but will be doing so, do you guys recommend any (Ram is showing about 50% usage). On a positive note, its very quiet ...no more fan city woo!
If it's running OK why do you need to upgrade? 28 core scalability will be very dependent on your session/workload/plugins used. So I'm not sure advice from others is that helpful. And sadly CPU meter % is not that useful for knowing you *won't* have problems (if you were seeing high % usage now then that's a more useful predictor of issues... and saldy even what the CPU meter means with hyperthreading enabled is really hard to make sense of), and whether that problem will be helped (or made worse) by adding more cores.

I'd focus my spend on what is important to improve things. What problems do you want to solve? Session startup time? Plugin sample load times? Making better backups? Getting CPU errors now or expecting to run larger sessions (and you can't freeze tracks?).

If you have memory free make sure you have set disk cache to a size, not "normal", to accommodate all your session in memory (look at the disk cache meter).