View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 AM

Default Re: MIDI problem: multiple track sounds, but same notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunorchestra View Post
Hey everyone, having a little issue.

I'm recording multiple MIDI tracks on Pro Tools 10 using a Yamaha Motif XF8 as my synthesizer. I've had MIDI problems before but always seem to figure out a simple enough answer, but this one has me puzzled.

I'm recording 5 MIDI tracks at once, all different sounds.
1 is piano
2 is harp
3 is cello
4 is bass
5 is acoustic guitar

I'm using all the sounds from my Motif XF8 and recording with no problem all the separate sounds into Pro Tools via 5 different channels. So my channel 1 on the keyboard is linked to channel 1 on pro tools output, so on and so forth.

When I record, playing five tracks at once, pro tools is recognizing that 5 different sounds are being played, which is good; however, pro tools is only writing the MIDI notes for the first track, the piano, channel 1, but to channels 2,3,4 and 5 it is picking up the different instruments but writing their sounds to the notes of only the first instrument.

So what I need to know is how do I have it set up to where when I am recording to MIDI on pro tools from already recorded songs on the Motif XF8, how can I have it to where my 5 different sounds from the keyboard are simultaneously recorded into pro tools under 5 different MIDI tracks with different channels? If you need further clarification of my question then just ask, I'll try to explain better. Thank you so much.
I'm confused, and I think you are as well.
When you say 'when I record playing 5 tracks at once Pro Tools is recognizing that 5 different sounds are being played' where exactly are you recording - into Pro Tools or the Motif's internal recorder/sequencer? You can't send 5 different MIDI tracks at once to PT from one keyboard, even with keyboard splits although you could record the same MIDI stream to 5 MIDI tracks at once in PT but then all the sounds would be playing the same notes.

I don't think the XF8 can send MIDI out from tracks already recorded into it to PT - at least my original Motif 7 can't. And as far as splitting 5 audio tracks from a recorded piece in the Motif into 5 separate audio tracks - you'd have to dig into the Motif documentation for that.

Also some of your confusion stems from the fact that you seem to think MIDI is audio and it's not - it's digital signals that tell a sound source to play certain notes for a certain length of time.

We also need to know exactly how you have things connected between the Motif and your PT computer for both MIDI and audio, for example.

QAPLA!