View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Snare micing....How do you do it?

I've started this thread to see what opinions people have out there on how to mic up a snare, what mics to use, how to tune the drum etc....

Recently I've been using a SM57 on top aimed directly where the stick (uaually) strikes the skin at around a 45 to 60 degree angle. I usually try to get it as vertical as I can but don't have great stands etc.

I place a Shure SM81 under the snare, not facing directly at the wires and at a distance so the mic doesn't overload.

I find that the bottom mic really adds life to my snare mix. Fair enough I can get away without one in a pinch, but by just mixing it in slightly the sound really comes alive. However, I'll usually have to gate the bottom mic quite heavily in order to erase any excess rattle when a tom is hit etc.

Those of you who've seen my previous posts will realize I've previously had some troubles reproducing a quality snare sound and have asked for some assistance in the past. Now however, I'm consistently producing a sound that makes me smile wen I hear the recording back.