View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 AM

Default 55ms Latency Problem Mbox 2 PTLE 7.4

Dear All,

I am having consistent latency problems recording anything from vocals via Mic input to guitar via SPDF input using my Mbox 2. After each recording, I have to manually nudge the wave form around 55ms back to correctly align the take.

My machine spec should be ample (I get 230 on the dverb test):
Q6600 - ASUS P5K, 2GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz, GeForce 7200GS 256MB DDR2, 2 x 320GB SATA2, LG Lightscribe SCSI DVD burner, Mbox2 PTLE 7.4.

I have also carried every single recommended performance tweak (record to non-system internal drive, no other services or programs are running, buffer set to 512 etc etc etc)
This behaviour is consistent with plug-ins active/in-active/off completely.

Whats worse, I am not sure if the 55ms is consistent, but the latency is definitely in between 50ms and 60ms. More than enough to throw an entire mix off very quickly.

Zero latency monitoring can remove a lot of the problems this causes (mix control at 50% and track being recorded is muted) but I find it very frustrating that I have to spend time manually re-aligning takes, with no guarantee of consistency.

Using Google's cache of the DUC I found this article documenting the problem, but apprently "Mbox on Windows always had it right, on Mac it was fixed in 6.4".

Any suggestions on how to remove this latency?
Or am I just experiencing common issues and maybe its time to upgrade to 003?

Thanks for any help/advice,

Cro