View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 06:39 AM
Avid

Default Windowing Part 1

[WINDOWING PART 1]

Instead of simply defining each of the important windowing preferences, let’s provide a few different use cases for how you might configure a set of settings based on work styles. There are many different ways to configure the windowing interactions on the console. As you enable more preferences there are interactions between the various settings. Let’s show a few scenarios starting with no windows enabled and up through a large number of windows being triggered by various interactions.

EXAMPLE RECIPES

THE EXPERT:
This is not the average user, but rather an experienced operator who can navigate efficiently using the dedicated function views and especially the On Attention Knob Zones, especially for essential parameters like Dyn and EQ. This user almost entirely relies on the plots and parameters provided on the console and not by the plug-in user interfaces.

Settings > User
Open Windows When Editing Mode = Off
Open Windows on Workstation Attention = Off

Windows will never be invoked either On Attention from an interaction in Pro Tools, from the function scroller on the Master Module Home Page or from any function view accessed from the Knob Modules.

MR. MINIMAL:

Settings > User
Open Windows When Editing Mode = Plug-Ins Only
Open Windows on Knob Touch = Off

Home > Local Options (Gear)
Open Windows on Workstation When Knobs Assigned = Master Module
Function and Knob Page Selected on Attention Change = Last Selected

For this example, if I choose Pan or Sends from the Channel Strip or from the function scroller on the Master Module, no windows will be opened in Pro Tools. Touching EQ, Dyn or Inserts on the function scroller will invoke the appropriate windows. Accessing Insert parameters for a plug-in (Teal) from the channel and Knob Module will invoke the selected plug-in. Touching any other strips encoders while in Insert Parameters view will not display those plug-ins.

THE JEFF:
For this example I’ve taken the liberty of explaining how I tend to set up my console. Your mileage may vary.

Settings > User
Open Windows When Editing Mode = Plug-Ins and Pan
Open Windows on Knob Touch = On

Open Windows on Workstation When Knobs Assigned: 1st Expand Knob Module
1st Expand Knob Function = EQ, Backup = Insert 2

So - the default behavior, On Attention (from the console - triangle switch or the track scrollers on Tracks or Home page) is to populate expand Knob Zone 1 (EQ) and open its plug-in window. If the target track doesn’t contain an EQ - open Insert 2 in Insert Parameters view. I always use Insert 2 as this gives you headroom to add a signal processor before it if need be. No windows will be opened automatically from an interaction in Pro Tools - unless you explicitly click on a Plug-In, Pan or Send obviously. Tracks will still be attentioned from the DAW using the Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area pref. A few of the useful options for this pref which I’ve enabled include Edit Selection Move Up/Down and Plug-Ins. Attention from the DAW will happen, but no windows will be opened when nudging the focus with the P and ; keys. The Master Module can be used to dive into plug-in parameters, EQ or DYN then - either by grabbing the local docked knobs or swapping a chosen function down to an attention Knob Zone (2 for example), on touch the plug-in docked will display its window.

MORE PT CENTRIC:

Settings > User
Open Windows on Workstation Attention = On
Open Windows When Editing Mode = Plug-Ins, Pan & Sends
Open Windows on Knob Touch = On
Display Knobs from Most Recently Clicked DAW Area: 2nd Expand Knob and Fader Modules

Open Windows on Workstation When Knobs Assigned = 1st Expand Module

For this example the 1st Knob Expand Zone is going to keep on providing me with a default EQ view on attention, either Attention from the console - strips and Tracks, or from Pro Tools. If the track doesn’t have an EQ - again it goes to Insert 2 parameters. Now for the 2nd Expand Knob -> If I explicitly click on a Send (in Pro Tools) for a track, Sends will be displayed on the 2nd Expand Knob Zone. If I click on a Plug-in, those insert parameters will be displayed within that same area. Using the non-specific attention functions like nudging - using P and ; will trigger Attention showing the default - again Knob Zone 1 which is usually EQ.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas to experiment with on how to start thinking about setting up the various windowing preferences on the console. There’s certainly more to examine on this topic down the road.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ