View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Adding RAM, any reason for more than 4 Gb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Yeah IMO more than 4GB is the point of diminishing returns. You should notice a difference on any session up to about 4GB. I like at least 4.5GB so the OS has its own 512MB, but that's just my opinion. No facts to back it up. My G5 has 6.5GB but it's because it started with 512MB, then I added 2GB, then found a good deal on 4GB. I've never taken the 2GB pair out to see how it runs, but I seen no reason to go any higher with my system. Because like you I don't use a lot of VI's. IMO VI's are what benefit the most from extra ram (over the 4GB PTLE can use itself).
I'm actually kind of surprised you haven't had any problems with your system, for a few reasons. Mostly because it's a bad idea to mix RAM. Kind of like how they tell you not to mix battery brands. RAM will only run as fast as the slowest chip in the system. Meaning, that 512 chip could be slowing down your whole system. You would probably see an improvement in performance by taking out the 512.

Generally, when you put RAM in a system you want every chip to be the same speed and brand for optimal performance and stability.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515