View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Re: trim tool selects too much of clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniad View Post
Hello everyone,

I am having problems with the trim tool and the select tool.

What I am finding is that when i attempt to trim a small part off the end of the clip it selects the whole clip. (see attached screen shot)

I have tried resetting the defaults to see if this will fix it but it hasn't helped.

Until recently I have been using my mouse to select specific parts of each clip/track so that I can cut them out and/or separating the clips and using the trim tool.

Is there a more efficient way to edit? Ideally I would be like to be able to select from one specific (time) point to another, preview the selection and then cut it as needed.

I can't find a way to do this so I have just been using the mouse which isn't as accurate as I'd like.

And now it seems I can't get my mouse to select small enough sections.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Not entirely clear to me exactly what you're asking, but I notice in your screenshot you're in Grid mode and Grid is set to 1 bar - this will of course limit the ability to accurately select sections that you want. For sample accurate selection you should be in Slip mode.

When using the trim tool, the clip you're trimming will always be selected - that doesn't affect the accuracy of trim operations. If you want to select an area within a clip you should be using the selection (I-beam) tool.

Should you wish, you can manually enter selection values with the numpad-'\' key which will toggle through selection start, selection end, and selection length.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6