Thread: S6 Memory Error
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 AM

Default Re: S6 Memory Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
These graphs are specific to the workstation and not the S6 Master Module. If the memory usage is very high Pro Tools will also show low memory in the system usage window. Lower your disk cache, close other open applications, or add more RAM to your workstation.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply! Very interesting. I didn't realize the S6 memory meter reflects system memory (which is quite a relief). I tried some things and here's what I saw (the session I'm testing with is very small/low memory usage):
- my computer has 16GB installed and the Mac Activity Monitor says I'm using a bit over 6GB of it with the normal things I have open left running. The ProTools memory meter shows about 15% less usage than this, the S6 is basically pegged.
- When I change the size of my cache almost nothing changes. The memory meter in the S6 drops by small tenth's of a percent and the Mac Activity Monitor changes by less than half of the change in cache size but the ProTools memory meter changes by about the change in the cache size
- When I close applications running in the background I get a much bigger change in the Mac Activity Monitor, a roughly corresponding change on the S6 but much less on the Pro Tools monitor.
- If I start the computer and only launch the WS app, the Mac will show about 4 GB used (of 16) but the S6 will show over 50%. Per the above, the only thing that changes it much are other apps being open and just as you suggested, the standard ones do get the S6 meter up 95%+ causing the warning icon.

All of this is pretty weird and inconsistent so I'm not clear WHAT is actually going on but at least I can get the warning icon off by closing applications. The problem with that is, there are only two open and I USE them! Seems like 16Gb ought to be enough at least running small sessions and the Mac certainly doesn't show any evidence of much memory being used, even when the warning is up. It's just the S6. Very weird. I wonder if there might be a -917X error clue in all of this somewhere...?

Hi Priorytools,

Thank you very much for the suggestion - much appreciated! The network connection (thank goodness) is solid as a rock which is reflected in the S6 data and the Mac info. Reasonable prospect though, again, thanks!

Last edited by rus5; 02-28-2018 at 02:01 AM.