View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 PM

Default Re: In Response to Pro Tools HD 10 Feedback

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the link... it just means more ambiguity!

In fact, it seems that the form to submit for transfer of ownership (perhaps) predates the PT9 way of doing things. I.e. according to the form, even for an old MBox (not even MBox 2!) I would need to yield the software to the person I'm selling it to. Sometimes the form talks about software, and other places it mentions a license, but again, this might be pre-PT9 Digi "license."

When PT9 was released, my limited understanding is that we "converted" the serial number and the "dongle" (MBoxes, etc) to an iLok. When I upgraded one of my MBoxes, that serial number has been "used-up" in terms of turning it into an iLok asset as regards software. If Avid really meant that I couldn't sell my Mbox without the ProTools iLok, then there would be no motivation ever to buy any Avid hardware (as regards less mission-critical setups)...

It would be ludicrous if I couldn't sell my MBox hardware "as-is"... to a third-party... and retain my PT9 (non-HD) license.

The HD license might be more tricky, but I actually thought that when we gave our core card serial numbers for the HD9 upgrade, the iLok as regards software became the gatekeeper for the ability to use that software. There are those that would buy spare core cards, accel cards, etc. at facilities or larger-shops. They do not need to buy my HD license.

I believe, but could be mistaken, that the form needs updating, because after PT9, the whole license/authorization scheme had drastically changed. At least, I hope the form needs updating.