View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM

Default Re: New Pro Tools 2018 Setup with Yamaha Midi Grand

I've done the Windows optimizations except the second drive for recording audio. I'm not recording audio, I'm trying to record a simple midi track. I'm using an UltraNotebook, it doesn't have a clue what a floppy drive is, so that shouldn't be causing any problems.

It still puzzles me that in their readme file they say they don't support USB 3.0? How can that be?

As for the PC thing, I paid $600 for a Windows version and nothing in the requirements said anything about being picky about a PC?

Last night, I tried again after uninstalling and reinstalling the 2018.3 version. It seemed to only slow to a crawl once? But again, I could not get it to recognize any midi device input. (even after simplifying and only using one keyboard.) Using USB and midi cables? Using only USB? Nadda, Nothing.

I think I will be planning on calling tech support today? There is no way I should expect to get help from a community forum for a product that costs $600 bucks. I expect to talk to tech support via a phone call.

I see there is a Midi studio option where you can define midi input devices, I was able to find a midnam file and dumped it into the proper digidesign folder? Not sure this will fix it? This should allow me to see midi input devices in the I/O section of an instrument track. Note: I was able to record a basic midi track back when I initially had 12.8.3. It seems after I upgraded to 2018, everything got much worse.

Also of note, using the Yamaha MIDI USB Driver Control Panel, all midi tests work flawlessly. So I'm doing something wrong in Pro Tools? A setting somewhere?

I haven't given up yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Unfortunately, Pro Tools is very, very picky on PC. Remember, Avid is DIVA spelled backward.

"Also, if I had pro tools opened and I go to watch one youtube video, then close down youtube and go back to pro tools and play a simple template, the sound coming out the monitors becomes distorted. I could reproduce this everytime."

Make sure your Scarlett is for Pro Tools only and use your onboard soundcard for Windows sounds/audio. Whether you can use an interface for PT and Windows sounds/audio is up to your interface's drivers and, AFAIK, Focusrite's drivers do not allow this.

Have you done any of the Avid optimizations? You really must. See the Help Us Help You link at the top of the forum pages. There are more you can do besides what Avid recommends.

And if PT is slow, do you have a CD or DVD in your drive or a floppy controller in BIOS?

If you want a fully featured program that will work on almost any PC, look at Reaper.