View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Fine breakpoint adjustment change in 12.6 = Showstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
No, I wasn't aware of Shift+Option+Command allowing unconstrained, fine breakpoint adjustment. Were you aware of this before guitardom mentioned it here?

But, this is a very odd command that seems completely accidental. Shift+Option and Command+Option constrain to horizontal movement. So, I’d expect Shift+Option+Command to constrain to horizontal as well since it’s a combination of both commands. In fact, you'll see horizontal constrain behavior with automation breakpoints if you hold the keys before clicking the mouse. And, with Clip Gain it only does horizontal constrain regardless of whether keys are pressed before or after mouse click. So, if this command was intentional, it was only half implemented. Implying that we don't know which commands do what in our documentation is unfair in my opinion. This was not messaged because I wouldn't qualify this as an intended shortcut.

That being said, it's useful and we're planning to resolve these inconsistencies I mentioned above.

Regarding my question and your objection to whether or not Command (Control) should both suppress grid AND do fine breakpoint adjustment, I want to mention something else for everyone to consider. This is actually how Clip Gain behaves today, which is different from automation breakpoint adjustment. This makes no sense to me that these should not be consistent. So, here is my question:

Do you like when Command (Control) suppresses grid and enables fine adjustment for Clip Gain? If so, then why don't you want this behavior for automation breakpoints?

Also, when I say automation breakpoints that includes MIDI breakpoint behavior too. It should all behave consistently.

Last, how is using Caps Lock better than F2/F4? Seems like having Caps Lock enabled, and forgetting about it, would get annoying when switching to any text entry field whether in PT or not.
Horizontal-only automation breakpoint movement with the smart tool is broken in 12.6, AND in 12.5.2 and 12.4. Were you aware of that? Unless it's supposed to be that way. Curiously, it works properly on the clip gain line. So I'd ask those who've taken a hardline position on reversion: how far back does Avid need to go for horizontal-only automation breakpoint adjustment to work?

Btw, I disagree that shift-option-command logically = horizontal only, because shift=vertical only. At least most of the time. lol If command-option = horizontal and command-shift = vertical, then to me it makes sense that command-shift-option = vertical & horizontal, i.e., unrestricted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The real question is, why do you have redundant mod key combos, especially when you're trying to add features?

I can't answer your question because it's not that simple. The one thing that's clear is you can't focus on 1 mod key/behavior without considering how it affects other mod keys/behaviors. "100% reversion" is a temporary fix, not the ultimate answer, because even previous versions have flawed, inconsistent behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
There are lots of confusing shortcuts mentioned in this thread.

Until 12.6 it was as simple as this :

With Smart Tool active, and regardless of grid selection state (grid, slip, etc.), holding Cmd ALWAYS allowed an automation node to be created exactly at the spot of the cursor/pointer AND allowed for fine adjustment (horizontal or vertical). It was correct and working extremely well for YEARS. We would automatically just hold Cmd for every single node/breakpoint, because it made it so simple.

Put it back!

As a side note of the screw up (uh, I mean *feature*) slip mode also no longer slips when Cmd is held. It now forces to grid. Ridiculous changes.

Cmd worked so well everywhere before.
shift-command does what you want.