View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Another "Pro Tools crashing" issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.Brownlee View Post
I have not tried that, but I'm using a Scarlett Solo audio interface to drive my speakers (sorry, forgot to mention that above), so it's not likely a sound card problem...or am I wrong there?
Upping the buffer can help a lot but at the expense of latency. If tracking is finished, then this is not an issue, so pushing the buffer to 1024(or higher if available) will lighten the cpu load a lot. If you need that low buffer, instead of FREEZE, use Track Commit. When you use this option, you can choose what happens to the original track(Do Nothing, Make Inactive or Hide and Make Inactive). If you think you may need to make further edits, I would choose the "Make Inactive" option and MUTE the original after the COMMIT finishes(Inactive means it will use zero system resources, but should still respond to tempo adjustments). Set your new "commit" tracks to TICKS and enable Elastic Audio. That way, your printed tracks will also respond to tempo changes. You can always make an inactive track active again and re-commit if changes are needed

Another option is to decide on tempos early on and avoid those changes later(which might be tough, depending on how you like to work).

One more option that may help, depends on what plugins you use. Example: KeyScape pianos, which sound great, are real system hogs. If you substitute MiniGrand while building the piece, the cpu usage will be much lighter. Once you have the part and tempo finalized, swap back to the KeyScape plugin and commit the track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave