View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Default Another "Pro Tools crashing" issue

I have seen a few of these on here, so it appears I'm not the only one...

I realize there are a lot of moving parts to tech questions like these, so please bear with me. My knowledge of computer hardware is a lot lower than my knowledge of music theory.

I'm trying to write an orchestral piece with 23 instruments loaded (per the attached screen shot). To keep my computer happy, I usually Freeze the sections I'm not using. However, to make global tempo changes, I can't have any Frozen tracks.

This is where the problem starts.

All I have done with the attached is to Unfreeze all the tracks in my template, loading all the instruments back up, so I can change my tempo and meter. After I do that and save, I am unable to load the session back up again. Pro Tools just hangs with the lovely spinny blue circle of death and eventually goes non-responsive.

As far as I know, my machine should be able to handle a session like this, but it happens *all the time.* It's hard to tell from the screen shot, but I've loaded up the instruments within two instances of EastWest Play and four instances of Kontakt. I have a six-core computer, so that should potentially split the load among all six cores (I think).

Do I need a slave computer or something? Do I need to upgrade my existing computer again? Am I just asking too much of Pro Tools? I'm so baffled here and really need some help (explained in fairly basic terms).

Here are my full specs:
Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7-8700 3.20 GHz, 6 cores, 32 GB RAM, SSD for main Windows drive and Pro Tools, instruments stored on a combination of internal HDD and external SSD (USB 3.0), Pro Tools sessions stored on internal HDD, running Pro Tools 2018.12.0.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT screen shot.jpg (53.2 KB, 0 views)