View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Time to upgrade from my Mix3 systems... don't laugh

Please help the elderly.

I Have two ProTools Mix3 systems running on OS9 - one at the studio, one at home. Allows me edit, overdub and comp at home. I have a beautiful ProControl at the studio I'm quite attached to. Not ready to abandon it yet.

Thinking it's time to upgrade. Appears ProTools 10 is the last rev that will support my ProControl. I'm not sure exactly what I need to upgrade to, except that it can't be later than PT10 to support my ProControl. I have questions:

- thinking I should get HD3 cards. They are affordable enough. I want to be able to do 96K sessions, as I do a lot of acoustic music. No post. Also am concerned about latency, which also points me towards HD3. Avoiding HD Native for this reason. Am I mistaken?

- I'm a Mac guy. what Mac Pro should I get? Was thinking a 12 core Westmere, but they are still holding their value pretty well. Do I really need that if I'm going HD3, or would a quad core be OK? Keep in mind I have to buy 2 systems.

- big fan of Peak for using my ProTools plug ins. What would I replace it with for 2 channel editing for CD mastering?

Thank you knowledgeable ProTools users in advance for your input, I really appreciate it.