View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Can anyone explain bad sound at theater?

So my son and I usually attend a local Regal cinema when we go see a movie. On occasion we might visit an AMC or an independent Village Center theater, but we've never had an issue at either of these.

3 times in our last 5 visits to the Regal cinema, the sound has been atrocious. This problem is not isolated to just one theater in the cinema, but in multiple theaters. We first experienced the problem during Ready Player One where the sound was one-dimensional, had no dynamics and everything was the same flat volume coming from the screen.

The same thing happened for Infinity War with the sound all one dimensional at the screen, but it was also worse having been turned down in SPL. I took a reading on my phone and what should have been somewhat loud musical crescendos were maxing out under 80dB.

There was also a third movie suffering from the flat, one-dimensional sound but I can't remember what it was at the moment. Complaints to Regal about them needing to fix and possible recalibrate their sound systems at this cinema fall on deaf ears.

Can anyone pinpoint what might be going on with these theaters at this cinema?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control