View Single Post
Old 06-15-2002, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Nuendo users out there?

I have to be brief because of time. I ditched my 001 after having my patience tried for too long waiting for XP drivers. I understand they will be out soon, but I have made quite a bit of money since then using a wonderfully functioning Nuendo system. For what the 001 is, it is very good. You are basically getting great hardware with the software as more of a "bonus". However, its software limitations in the end were also a deciding factor that I simply needed more. My 001 purchase was simply in haste. Here's why I feel Nuendo is simply *much* better.

-Unlimited track count
-DirectX/VST compatability
-very expansive softsynth support/compatability
-Apogee UV22 dithering
-Auto-tune functions either real-time or offline mode
-much larger selection of available 3rd party software (yes, I know there is a lot of crap out there too, but there is much more "good stuff" out there than what Digi can offer)
- There are other things also important to me but the above are a little more critical.

Now, are we comparing apples to apples? No...and they don't claim to be direct competition. You will also have to pay a little more to enter into a Nuendo system. But, if you pick up a MOTU 828 you will end up with about the same I/O options as the Digi 001 hardware. Throw another grand down for the Nurndo software and you will have something that LE can't touch.

Part of the problem is that Digi does not offer a "bridge system" that lies between the 001 and its higher end HD system. I suppose you could try to grab a used Mix system and get a decent deal...but you are still paying a much greater amount for somthing that in the end gives you less than a Nuendo system.

If you *must* have the name Pro Tools because you think it makes you valid...then so be it. But don't forget to make sure that you only buy Neumann mics, etc...so you don't contradict yourself. Basically what I am saying is that the tool is the most important thing because it is the right tool in your hands that will help you to achieve and exceed in the end...not a logo. Also, nuendo is making quite a name for itself so don't feel like you are buying into an obscure system. I could go for a long time, but also make sure you check out the new SX system from Steinberg (the makers of Nuendo). It basically incorporates the Nuendo engine with many of the midi benefits of Cubase at an even lower cost than Nuendo.

Out of fairness and reality to Digi, they have a kick butt setup that looks great and does what it claims to do very well. I just needed more, and Digi hasn't really "kept up" to the the quickly growing available options that are out there. Again, what is most important is that you figure out what it is you need. If the 001 system gives you all of that...then get it. It is great. If you need more...don't get it...you will have regrets when you realize that something much more capable is available for a fraction of the cost more.

I guess I ended up getting more into this than I thought I would. My wife just gave birth to our fist child yesterday and I can't take my eyes off of our beautiful little daughter. Woo-hoo!!

Hope this helps bud... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]