View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

I hope you realize that I truly am not trying to argue, just playing Devil's Advocate as I too have thought about upgrading my computer when in the end, I had zero real reasons to upgrade.

Think about my points in Red, if they do not apply, no problem. Just food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
Reasons:
1. Don't really need/use much CPU power. Mostly AAX-DSP.

So if you don't need more power, your current computer gets the job done.

2. Current CPU will not be supported with Catalina forward.

Why not wait and see, I've had zero issues staying up to all Mac OSXs with my 5.1, we've all been through it many times, "Not Supported", almost never means "Won't Work Properly".

3. Desire to hopefully benefit from a newer computer architecture. Thunderbolt will become a need soon.

Everything I've read is that you'll see no benefit tuning Protools between your existing and a new Mac mini, in other words, there is nothing Protools specific to be gained by upgrading. If anything a step back in power.

4. I'll need/want to move forward sometime, and the new MacPro is overkill for my work.

Need/want, my guess is this is really what this is all about. Based on your own points about your needs, I just can't see how you gain anthing by going to a Mac Mini.

5. iMac won't work for me because my CPU/IO are in a closet in the back of my control room.

Not relevant to changing out your existing to a Mac mini.

6. Geekbench scores for Single Core Score MacMini=5667, my machine=2768 Multi Core Score MacMini=24323, my machine=24991,

You don't really get any advantage of the Single Score gains, as Protools works with Multi Core very well. So the multi core is the only one truly relevant.