View Single Post
Old 09-13-2003, 06:16 PM

Default Re: How can you penalize who helped you grow?

Can I give you guys my take on this? I,too, have been a Digi customer since day one. The major upgrade was Sound Designer to Pro Tools. That was one very impressive step. Then came 24 bit. That too is memorable. Then HD. Now Accell. (Did I miss stuff?)

Through out these years I have been VERY fortunate to have my gear rented and paid for many times. HD came out and I held off until last month. I was real happy with a Mix plus/AVXL and 9.22

Now I am leveraged again. But, basically starting over with a 57k investment of stuff. I sold a turn key racked mix plus for 5k - which i know is cheap but whatever. It's all in the act of simplification and karma building. BUT I am thinking, 57k damn, that's a large chunk that could do a lot of good for the world.

So I post with two minds. One is, we do not have to be part of a society that consumes so much. I justify the upgrade as it's for work and my livelihood. But I do believe that Americans (me) have been suckered down the road of bigger-better for so long that we are as trained monkees.

Personally I am for slowing down or buying used. And I am not talking just Digi. So, to the poster who feels so much pain, I say that you might step back and realize that you don't have to be in this emotional place.

My family began this process just before original Sept 11. I cannot tell you how nice it is to let go of certain things you always feel is necessary to have. For instance dropping cable was a beautiful feeling. (And a big money saver) We watch films and DVD's and for my kids we have movies for them too. (We have rabbit ears for PBS)

We have also slowed down on buying cars and just a whole bunch of STUFF. In the meantime we have sold a bunch of stuff, or given it away.

So, i don't mean to preach, but Hell - we all consume too much! there, i said it anyway.

look at the US - we're like pac man gobbling up the mid east. well, we accept that because it's part of our consumptive nature. And it makes us crazy without even knowing it.

So there's more than 2 cents. I do not agree with those who say nobody is forcing you to upgrade. There is no denying a pressure to stay compatible. BUT I do mean to say that the pressure is created from within as well as externally and it's worth looking at....

peace
scott