View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 04:07 PM

Default Re: First Home Studio Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielH View Post
Interface
I won't be needing more than 2 inputs for now as I'm a 'bedroom based guitarist', so a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Edition is sufficient for my needs. I'm mostly getting the setup together to learn/put mixing skills to practice.

And of course, Pro Tools 12 is on my list of purchase too.

Is there anything else I might need to know?

Thanks to all.
What exact guitar(s) with what pickups and if electric what amp/cabs do you have? What microphones do you own now? Are you recording vocals? Vocals while you play or separate?

Do you have band members or friends who have gear you can play with to get started?

If you are working with electric guitar or bass you should look at an Eleven Rack as an interface, easy to get started with, end especially if recording at home the amp/effects sims can really help. And you can use it to mic a cab when you want to . And you'll get good support from folks on DUC with questions. The Fractal Axe FX II and Line 6 Helix guitar processors also act as interfaces.

Traps for first time players, are underestimating the importance of room treatments/good monitor setup, having decent monitors and headphones (for mixing and tracking) etc. Costs for all that add up quickly. Work up a budget and include things you may need like microphones, microphone stands, monitor stand, mic and monitor cables, etc., etc. I often see folks jump in and throw money at things like plugins etc. I'd suggest slowing down and getting as good a basic stuff as you can get to start with.