View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Studios charging outrageous rates for Digideli

Sorry, I was in a cranky mood when I posted that and I shouldn't have taken it out on DChung. Rather than editing it, I'll clarify my thinking here:

We don't charge for DigiDelivery either, but in our situation we have the server for OUR convenience (i.e. so we can live in New Mexico), and in a situation where we're using the server for a CLIENT's convenience I think it's totally appropriate to charge for that use. Especially if it's the end of the day and an employee has to be paid overtime to upload to the server. I agree that $200/hour is a bit steep. I wouldn't call it gouging because it's not as though that's the only way a client can get their materials delivered, but I think it's a bad move on the studio's part: they'll get more in the long run from a price closer to FedEx costs because more clients will use the service. For the time being, clients can (and obviously do) choose other options. If enough clients make that decision then the studio may lower the rate or offer a lower rate to some of their clients.

So I apologize for any offense my previous post caused, especially to DChung. I agree that $200/hour is a steep price, and I'd encourage you to continue to explore other options until they see the light. If you want to use DigiDelivery but don't want to pay $200/hour I think you could probably find some more reasonable prices from users on this forum for delivery only that you could do from your laptop or office.