View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Post Re: Why Not Available to MBox3 Owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
As an early purchaser of an MBox3, I feel that it's wrong to not allow me to download Pro Tools Express.
Pro Tools Express is a new version of Pro Tools. It is only being bundled with new Mbox (3rd gen) and Mbox Mini (3rd gen) systems obviously as a way to encourage more people to buy these products. It’s not that different from how [warning: car analogy approaching] someone buying the current model of my car now gets Bluetooth included (and I don’t expect them to give me Bluetooth now). Part of a product’s evolution is to add new features or other items along the way. This is one way to keep the product competitive.

Quote:
So it's a disadvantage to me if I was an early purchaser?
No (putting aside the fact that multiple versions of Pro Tools were included with your Mbox - see below), you have actually had the advantage of using the product longer than if you had waited. With products that continually evolve (especially in technology) you can either wait forever, or you can decide to jump in and enjoy the use of the product. We all get to decide for ourselves where that point is.

Sorry that you feel we have never done anything to show we appreciate your business, because we do. People like you that buy our products put food on the table and a roof over our heads (and more), and we all really appreciate that.

As far as what we have done to show it, looking back at some of your registration history shows:
- You bought an Mbox 2 Mini (with Pro Tools LE 7.3) in 2009 and we gave you 7.4 and 8.0 for free.
- You crossgraded from LE to PT9 at a discount.
- You later did a Teacher upgrade from PT9 to PT10, and this also should have been at a discount.

Quote:
My MBox3 is worth less if I sell it because it doesn't come with a version of Pro Tools? Yet if someone buys today they get it for free.
The registration for your Mbox (3rd gen) lists LE 8, so Pro Tools was actually included with your interface. So if you do decide to sell your Mbox you could include the version that came with it, or any of the subsequent upgrades we've given you or that you have purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
they do nothing on their own to compensate anyone.
True, other than the free v7.4 upgrade, the free v8.0 upgrade, the discounted 9 crossgrade, and the discounted 10 upgrade (not to mention the 7.3 version that was included with the Mbox).