View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up Re: Artist Line - Pro gear or Toy?

I got my first MC Mix a couple of days ago after waiting for the Windows drivers for over two years. First impressions are that it's a rather nice controller. Regarding the faders even expensive digital mixing consoles use ALPS faders that need to be cleaned every year otherwise going haywire. Few consoles are shipped with expensive Penny & Giles faders nowadays.
With the price in mind I think the faders are rather nice on the MC Mix. Maybe I will think differently after using them for a year, but for now they're nice, fast and pretty silent.

I really like the functionality of the MC Mix because all I really need is faders, track names and some knobs. Using the MC Mix to control the Massenburg EQ in Pro Tools works pretty well and I can see myself maneuvering the MC Mix for fast filtering in a mix. Flipping the faders and controlling AUX sends is also brilliant.

I also have a Novation SL Zero MKII for controlling VST-instruments and the Automap protocol is so cool for making custom made controller layouts. The downside with the SL Zero is that it updates the display slowly and it can't be integrated in the same way as a EuCon controller.

If Euphonix/Avid would make a simple addendum to the EuCon control panel the MC MIX would become a very efficient controller. It would be great to be able to configure the layout of plug-in parameters letting the user define the most used plug-ins and how they show up on the MC Mix. I can't imagine that it would be that hard to add (if I have to do it by editing a configuration file, that's fine with me)
If I could just configure my ten most used plug-ins on the MC Mix, it would certainly speed up my workflow and make it more fun and intuitive.

As for the EQ-button and MC Mix showing four filter band I think it's brilliant. It would be great if pushing the knobs would toggle between Frequency and Q-value instead of having to use the buttons. Because that's how it usually works on digital mixing consoles. I find myself resetting the filter band gain to zero each time I accidentally press the knobs.
Also an overall EQ bypass would be nice to have on a button, but maybe it's just I that haven't found it yet.

Any plans for such improvements?

Cheers
Fred

PT HD 9.03 + HD Core card, Nuendo 5, Cubase 6, Wavelab 7, Samplitude 11, W7 64bit, ASUS P5B, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 4Gb DDR RAM, UAD-2 QUAD (all plug-ins), RME RayDAT, Lavry DA-10, Mytek Stereo192 ADC, 2xApogee DA16X and Rosetta 800, Quested V3110 three-way speakers, Avantone MixCubes, Euphonix MC MIX, Novation Remote SL61 and Zero SL MkII, lots of funky outboard and analogue synths.