View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Oh Freedom! Live Mix Project

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the beginning phases of what will prove to be a major mixing project for me. I recently did a live performance of my show, Oh Freedom! in a 385 seat theater at a regional state University. The show was shot with multiple video cameras and a 24 track audio recorder and was I'm mixing the audio down for sync for the DVD of the performance. I will have countless questions as the process moves forward so I hope I can turn to you folks for advice.

The tools:
Pro Tools 12.4.0
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Mid 2015 Macbook Pro (bought in 2016) with a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 17 Processor and 16 GB memory Running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
Glyph Studio Raid 4TB external drive
Emotiva Stealth 8, 8” Powered Airmotiv Bi-Amplified Active Studio Monitors

The performance included myself on Vocals, and multiple acoustic and electric instruments:
3 acoustic guitars, 2 resonator guitars and 1956 ES 225 and period guitar amp, and a vintage mandolin. All acoustic instruments were DI'd wireless with an individual channel in the recording plus a single Neman KM-184 for live sound. The electric had the amp mice's/ an SM-57.

In addition there was a percussionist (one KM-184 overhead)
A Fender Jazz Bass, DI'd to the board (no onstage amp) and second acoustic guitarist with a DI and KM-184.

The biggest fly in the ointment is a 44 voice choir in 4 different miked locations around the stage in various sizes from 4 to 44 throughout the show. Needless to say, this will be one major mixing project!

I have moderate experience in mixing by professional standards. I've recorded and mixed my last 5 CDs (one of which charted on Billboard for 1 week) and several similar, but smaller live shows and festivals but nothing of this scale before. Clearly I will need additional support to pull this one off.

I just dumped the tracks into Pro Tools and am beginning the rough edits but already have many questions I hope to pose to the forum. I'm new to posting images here, but I'll try to add a couple to show you the set up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F197AAEB-F0EB-43EB-8152-63368A942840.jpg (59.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6523.jpg (67.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6571.jpg (44.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7216.jpg (38.6 KB, 0 views)