View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 05:33 PM

Default S3 only compatible with Maverick OSX

I have a problem I'm betting a few others have run into. I've been a Pro Tools user since 2007, and until now I've been on a Mac Pro (2007). However I recently purchased a new S3 Control Surface, which its system requirements call for Maverick OSX, and isn't supported on Yosemite OSX yet. So I realized I need to upgrade to a newer Mac Pro to run Maverick, my Mac Pro is too old. But unfortunately new and refurbished Macs come configured with Yosemite. I know many of you are thinking "no big deal, get a Maverick OSX installer disc and downgrade the system". I thought that as well. However after talking at length with Apple tech, it turns out that as of Maverick they no longer shipped install discs, you simply can't get one, not even from Apple. It's simple if the Mac you have came configured (back in 2013) with Maverick on units of the time. But if you buy a refurbished one today (even if its hardware date is from 2013) it will have Yosemite installed on it by Apple, so its useless to me. And they won't ship one configured with Maverick (why, don't ask, their just not helpful that way).

Anyone else boxed in by this one? I'm currently sitting on a brand new S3 Control Surface that is nothing more to me than a $5k door stop right now. What I'd really like to hear is that someone else ran into this and has a solution. If your solution is "wait till Avid supports Yosemite for the S3 firmware", not an option. This is a working studio and I can't 'afford' to wait for that eventuality.

I'm really shocked Avid didn't look into the compatibility issue a little deeper before releasing this hardware. I mean, there have got to be lots of Pro Tools systems running on pre-Maverick systems hoping to get an S3, and I'm pretty sure any of those studios aren't looking forward to buying an S3 that they can't get a Maverick Mac to use it.

Tell me you have a solution, and I will give you my first born (no warranty on first born, you get what you get

Steve DeMar
Demar Development Studios
new: Pro Tools S3 Control Surface (makes a very nice door stop)
OSX 10.9.4
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools S3 Control Surface
Antelope ZenStudio interface
003 Factory console interface
Dangerous Dbox analog summing
PT 11.3.1
PT 10.3.9
11GB RAM