View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Sound card recommendations?

Thanks for the reply. Based on what I have read here (and what I posted), looking for an internal interface. I already have preamps, ADC, just need the method of taking that converted digital signal and getting it into the mobo.

Mobo has multiple USB3 and 1/8" TRS line input ... I could get a USB interface but, again after reading the boards, I am under the impression that the fastest data transfer will be PCIe card interface. Would really like to find an alternative to HD Native, which I simply can't afford today. Surely there is another card out there besides HD Native and this old Soundblaster.

Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS interface/card has Firewire and SPDIF (digital) ... my ADC outputs SPDIF (in addition to XLR). I'm looking at the front now, it says 192kHz / 108 SNR. I've seen 112-120 SNR online, like Focusrite products, is 108 good enough? or too low for modern studios?

Maybe I should just keep this setup?

I don't need to have a separate interface for every channel, do I?

What I mean is, my ADC has two XLR inputs but only one SPDIF output (well, one coax and one optical) so can I take two tracks/signals out from the ADC on one single SPDIF cable? and send that to the Soundblaster SPDIF interface? I don't need a separate interface "channel" for each analog signal path, do I?

The Soundblaster card I have was actually intended for music audio recording, before it became a legacy product and the company began focusing heavily on gamers. So that's why it has the Firewire and SPDIF inputs.
It also has MIDI in/out, 1/8" TRS out, ... two 1/4" TRS line inputs + one RCA line input (currently receiving the PreSonus preamp) ...

Maybe I should just keep the old interface? if there is nothing better? hard to believe ...

Gigabyte H97M-D3H, Intel i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz, Intel H97 chipset, 24GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3, Win 10, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD (x2), TP-Link N900 PCIe, EVGA 500w PSU

Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel i7-870 @ 2.93GHz, Intel 5 Series/3400 Series chipset PCIe, ATI Radeon, Win 7 (64-bit) Home Premium, Realtek HD, THX TruStudio, Chicony 350w PSU