View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Digidelivery..........Used it today, first time!

Quote:
Quote:
5-Alternate use -DigiDelivery would make a great temporary backup storage device. Please give it the smarts to track a session and back up at predetermined thresholds like Mezzo is supposed to. Then if sessions could be archived to multiple DVDs, life would be perfect.
Yes, but you are extending the usefulness of the server past what it was designed for. But I hear what you are saying and yes, it would be great, but then the 80GB drive in LT would be too small. However, it does touch on the bigger problem of Backups for ProTools. I am seeing most projects now are 'backed up' on drives as they are too large for CD/DVD's and this is not a real 'archive backup' as we know. I spent nearly 2 hrs the other day , creating DVD Backups of 8 Jazz tracks I had mixed, the clients don't like paying for the time and I hate the extra mind numbing work that it creates, and I am too nervous too leave it with the assisitants in case it is wrong. So, lets get a good backup system in the works Digi. Perhaps a "Save as" that can backup (and verify) to DVD media (The hooks exist within OS X and I am sure within XP), Feeding the disks would be less of a problem. I would even buy an LE system if all it did was this!
We are definitely beyond the scope of what DigiDelivery was designed to do here. However, I feel compelled to chime in.

I do not want Digidesign to add archive features to Pro Tools. Everyone uses different methods for archiving; Mezzo, Retrospect, Toast, etc. Two out of the three in that list are sufficient.

So, knowing that, and taking in what Pirate Post and sleadley want to see, I propose this. The next hardware version of DigiDelivery acts as a backup server in addition to what it can currently do. It has a fibre channel card, and can connect to fibre channel disk arrays, such as the XRaid. This proposed DigiDelivery box can be seen in the Network pane of OS X v10.3.4 or later (hint, don't leave MIX users out to dry) and when finished with your session, you can execute a Save Session Copy In command and choose to save to the disk array connected to the proposed DigiDelivery box. The RAID connected to the DigiDelivery box would have to be the redundant type, so that if one disk failed in the RAID, your data would still be intact. When you need to restore your archive, you simply navigate the RAID connected to the proposed DigiDelivery box, and copy the files to your local disks.

I am not proposing something that replaces (or in the case of OS X makes up for the absence of) Avid's Unity. I am not interested in sharing all of my sessions from one location and then archiving them.

Pirate Post and sleadley, what do you think of this?

Now, before Digidesign gets carried away, I'd like to say that the wish list, IMO, is more important than this pipe dream we are having here. Please address the wish list first. Thanks for reading!