View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Digidelivery..........Used it today, first tim

Quote:
I thought I would chime in and mention some things that would be nice additions to DigiDelivery.

1-Physical noise- This box has the loudest fans on the face of the earth. It is an absolute must to have a machine room to contain its outrageously loud fans. Perhaps in the future a larger case with some larger, low velocity fans.

2-With the addition of the Server to Server relay feature, there is less feedback as to what stage a delivery is in. Before the Server to Server function, a delivery would require the client software to receive a delivery which did give some (but limited) feedback as to the progress and speed of a delivery. This is only an issue if there is a DigiDelivery box on both ends. The Server to Server function can be turned off. Perhaps if DigiDelivery could send an e-mail when it negotiates a Server to Server connection with an estimated time of arrival and or a small application could be created to display connection conditions and estimated time of arrival.

3-In the extremely rare occasion that a delivery gets partially delivered but fails, it would be advantageous for DigiDelivery to have the smarts to decode or open a partial delivery, create a list of the files that didn't make it and allow the remaining files to be send again in a new delivery. Currently if a delivery gets 99% received and fails, you have to start over if it can't figure out how to recover. This is a very rare condition.

4-Forwarding - Might be nice to add a feature that would allow a received delivery to be forwarded to another Digidelivery server. This might be a feature in the GT server already, I don't know I have an LT server.

5-Alternate use -DigiDelivery would make a great temporary backup storage device. Please give it the smarts to track a session and back up at predetermined thresholds like Mezzo is supposed to. Then if sessions could be archived to multiple DVDs, life would be perfect.

Since Digidelivery doesn't allow you to mix, edit, compose, or convert audio but just sends and receives files in a simple and elegant manner, Digidesign just got this box 99% right. There really is very little to complain about. I know that is counter to the fun that everyone has on the DUC. Sorry, it just works. Buy one and see.
Could you add these to the wish list thread?