View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 PM

Default New To MIDI _ NEed Help, Please

I just got an old Alesis QS8 keyboard and I'm trying to get MIDI working. I use PTLE 7.1 on a PC and an Mbox2.

The instructional DVD doesn't explain this well -- or else I'm just not getting it. Maybe there's a link with clear step-by-step instruction, or perhaps someone can walk me through the process.

Here's what I've been able to do:

First off, I'm using the ALesis to generate the sounds, and have connected to the Mbox2 with standard 5 pin MIDI cables. When recording, I create a a MIDI channel and record to that. I'm able to hear the correct sounds on playback, if I connect the OUts of the keyboard to the INs of the Mbox. However, I realize that I'm not recording the sound -- just MIDI data. SO, how do I get to the next step?

The DVD says to create an AUX track and route to that, but the example is using Sampletank, which can be inserted on the MIDI and AUX tracks. What to do when the keyboard is a slave? I haven't been able to insert the Alesis (maybe here's the problem -- setup is incorrect?).

Can anyone help? If this isn;t clear, I'll provide more info -- sorry to sound thick here, but I'm pulling my hair put.

Thanks in advance.

Andy